Thursday, August 6, 2009

Antwerp 70.3 - 2009

Antwerp was my first real triathlon three years ago and was part of what got me hooked on the sport. I have come back every years since then and this being my third year was equally as fun as the first one.

Three years ago on my first attempt I struggled through the day and was completely burned by the end. This year was a large contrast in that I was able to push hard the whole day. And the times reflect that too. 16 minutes faster than my first time in Antwerp!

The result for 2009 was 11th place, which was a hard earned place this year. Last year I managed 7th place but looking at the times and the feeling I had in the race, I believe this year was a much better race. Not only was I faster in ALL three sports, but my strength was solid the whole day. Unfortunately for me, there is becoming much more competition at the 70.3 events and Antwerp 2009 was no different. 13 different Ironman and 70.3 champions started the event combined with many olympic distance athletes including some who had competed in Beijing.

I knew the competition would be tougher this year so I made sure to focus on my own race and my own feeling the whole day. I tried not to get distracted when the swim start was INSANELY fast. When there were others on the bike who could equal my pace, I did not worry. And on the run when I felt it was my best run ever, and still someone ran past me like I was standing still, I did not freak out. In the end I am very proud that I was able to race within my limits and not push too hard. It has been my downfall in many races where I tried too hard to follow someone stronger than me only to have my race fall apart later because I burned my engine. I feel like I am finally learning how to race and feel when to push my body.

The only mistakes I made in the race were perhaps in the swim start by not forcing myself to the front line before the gun. Then during the bike I crashed on the last corner by not being careful enough with the rain soaked roads. And finally on the run by not concentrating enough during the 2nd of 3 laps and perhaps lost a couple minutes there.

BUT... it was still my best overall time with a 3:54. My PR run with a 1:18 and 2 minutes faster than last year. Bike was slightly faster than last year. So was swim with one minute faster than last year.

So, the feeling is good right now. While I was dissappointed to not come away with a better placing and some prize money to pay back the expenses, it is nice to know I am almost on the same level with the top guys. Only thing lacking at this point is a little more speed in the swim start, then the story is completely different.

Now I am taking a short break to recover completely before I start a serious block of training that culminates in November with the world championships. After seeing my performance in Belgium I have set my goals for worlds to be a sub 3:50 time, with a sub 1:15 run. All of which I believe are possible I can concentrate over the next three months of training.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in Florida