Monday, April 18, 2011

Double trouble

The Simo Klimscheffskij muistoajo (Memorial Ride) was held just outside of Turku on a rolling 4km loop. While I can count on two hands many times I have ridden a bike during the past year, I was surprised to find my legs were still able to handle racing.


The first bike race of the year (or last two years) started quite well but unfortunately came to an abrupt end after about 50km. During the first 1/2 dozen laps I tried a few times to get up the road in a break away but was unsuccessful. I decided to hangout in the pack for a while longer to wait until the other riders were more fatigued, then try again.

Unfortunately during an easy section of the race, I put both my wheels into a rather deep and narrow crack in the road. The large bang the proceed told me the race was over as both tires were completely blown out. Luckily I was able to keep my bike right side up and avoid crashing as another rider was not so lucky in the same section of road earlier in the race.

Despite having to stop early, I was quite happy to learn my legs remembered how to race. Even if the rest of my body was a bit sluggish (sore back and neck).

The next couple of weeks I will focus on running more and also training my cycling base a bit in order to be ready for GP Rosendahl and SM duathlon later this spring. Looking forward to both!



No comments: