Sunday, October 12, 2008

Getting 'Girl-ed'

After a very successful past two months of training and racing, I am leaving Finland to do my final preparations for the 70.3 worlds in Florida. My wife Emilia, our daughter and I will spend one month in Florida and experience all the sun we can imagine, and of course fine tuning my training to do my largest race of the year.


Quick summary of the past month:


Swimming a ton.... many thanks to the Jani and Jari from the Aurajoen Uinti swim club who have allowed me to train with there team a few days per week. What a difference it makes to swim with swimmers! I really learned a lot and was humbled every day. Especially when even the slowest 15 year old girl could beat me!!! But its all part of the process of learning and getting better.

Running: I have focused on speed work and racing for the past month or two and it has showed with races going very well and training times getting faster. Still have some work to do before race day but all it going in the right direction.

Cycling: Weather in Finland cooperated for much of the past two months and I managed to get some good rides in. However, as the darkness and cold has been increasing the past couple weeks, I have started to lose motivation to train by myself. Florida will be the right place to do the final kms for cycling though.

Overall, I am very happy with my preparation and now look forward to a final push of training in Florida. And of course a little sunny vacation never hurts during late October and November in Finland!

All the best,

Darby

No comments: