Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Final prep

The final week of preparations for the 70.3 world championships have gone very well. This past weekend I participated in a great local event, the Clearwater Beach Biathlon. I want to quickly thank Park, the event director, for organizing the event.

The unique event was a 2 mile run, 1/3 mile swim, followed by another 2 mile run. Definitely a first for me and a very enjoyable event, although the shock of running into the chilly water after a 2 mile run was pretty intense. The first 200 meters I was barely able to swim as my body just stopped working in the cold. After fighting through the waves to get out I eventually found some tempo but still had a poor feeling in the water.

Onto the final run I had to close a 200 meter gap to the first place and got that done by the turn around point. By the finish I had a sizable gap and started to feel good. A positive sign to feel good considering only two days before I had done a super tough 20 km run, which generally takes a few days to recover from.

Since last weekend I have had a couple rest days mixed with a couple final speed workouts to fine tune. Just trying to relax now and get mentally ready for a day of tough racing. Really looking forward to this race now I as feel as prepared as possible.

One final update to come just before the race.

Thanks for reading,
Darby

No comments: