Sunday, November 9, 2008

Post race

Just a quick update here...

Unfortunately I do not have any good news to share with my readers. Despite having perfect preparation and a great feeling before the race, today was quite simply a bad day.

I am not sure why it happened, but it did. I started the race feeling super positive and optimistic but right from the beginning something was wrong. The swim was not at all what I am capable of, despite pushing 100% the whole time. Partly the new experience of swimming in salt water could explain some of my poor performance or also my inexperience in swimming in a group. But for sure today was below my capability.

Then onto the bike I thought I was doing a relatively good ride, but looking at the results now, I was still 5 minutes off the pace I should have done.

But the real problem came on the run. Basically my legs would not respond when I wanted to increase the pace. The energy was gone and I had no power. I did everything I could to try and push harder but my legs would not respond. It felt like heavy weights were tied to my ankles and slowly pulling me down.

I guess everyone has bad days. I am extremely frustrated my bad day came today when I have prepared so well for many months for this one day. Now it is time to recover mentally, which could take some time. I am sure I have learned a lot from this experience, but at the moment that doesn't make me feel much better.

So, I thank everyone for supporting me in the lead up to this race. I am very sorry to not have a result from this. As they say, "back to the drawing board." (time to start over)

All the best,
Darby

No comments: